These little babies were inspired by the need for more protein packed lunchbox snackeroos for the little kiddos who can’t pack nuts in their lunches due to school specifications. I came up with these easily, as they’re super quick to whip together, they contain staple ingredients that live in my kitchen, and I love love love the combo of sesame and chocolate: salty-sweet-earthy deliciousness!
Designed with the littles in mind, these are full of protein, beneficial fats, fibre, calcium, magnesium, and immune boosting antioxidants, they are perfect for an afternoon boost without the blood sugar crash of refined sugar. They are not to be reserved just for your kids though, so hide a couple in the back of the fridge and try them out mid-afternoon when you’re feeling sluggish and unfocused, they are sure to satisfy in many ways! Enjoy!!
- 1 c dates, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup raw tahini
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup toasted sesame seeds
- Toast sesame seeds in a hot, dry, frying pan over medium heat until lightly brown. Remove from heat and empty onto a small plate and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine soaked dates, tahini, hemp hearts, salt, and cacao. Blend until smooth and well combined.
- Add dried cranberries to processor and pulse a few times until they are incorporated, but not blended.
- Using clean hands, roll 1-2 tbsp of mixture in your hands until a smooth ball is formed. Roll each ball in toasted sesame seeds until completely coated (or just coat half). Place onto a cookie sheet.
- Place finished balls into the fridge until firm (2-4 hours). Store refrigerated. Will keep 3-4 wks in fridge or 6 months in the freezer.
Be sure to let me know how these work out for you!