I have a secret (not-so-secret) love affair with roasted cauliflower. It is sooooo good! This recipe began with some roasted cauliflower amazingness and just exploded in flavor from there.
This particular salad is spectacular for lunchtime. It is easy, makes a good sized batch, is filling and satisfying, grounding, and is well-rounded without needing anything else along side. I’m a big fan of eating grains at lunchtime, as we digest them better than in the evening, and they tide us over throughout the afternoon slump without any sugar highs and lows.
I do have to say something about this dressing.
Just one thing.
So make a double batch if you have it in you and use it for leafy salads, salmon, over cooked veggies and rice, or just spoon it right out of the jar. Go for it!
Feel free to add in some of your favourites to this salad, it could easily handle some cucumbers, spinach, steamed kale, toasted almonds, pumpkin seeds, or fresh dill.
Or don’t, tis straight up good just the way it is! (just like you)
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
- 4 Tbsp hemp hearts
- 2 spring onions, minced
- For the Creamy Tahini Dressing
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- To cook quinoa: in a small pot, bring quinoa, water, pinch of salt and an optional tsp of coconut oil to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook until all water has been absorbed (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat and allow to cool at least half an hour.
- To roast cauliflower: preheat oven to 375F. Toss cauliflower pieces in 1-2 Tbsp of melted coconut oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned and soft. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients and toss together with a fork.
- For the dressing, place all ingredients in a high-powered blender (although a regular blender will do the trick), and combine until smooth.
- Toss salad with a generous helping of dressing, sprinkle with hemp hearts and parsley and serve.
- Will keep in fridge for 3-4 days.