These bars were inspired by a good friend who is hypoglycemic and tends to “bonk” (have a blood sugar crash inducing fits of rage and/or extreme grumpiness) if he doesn’t eat good food regularly. Loaded with blood-sugar stabilizing fiber (dates), fats (coconut oil & chia), proteins (nuts & seeds), complex carbs (oats), and natural sweeteners, these are fool-proof bars for little ones, active people, regular “bonkers”, and sweet-lovers everywhere. Easy to throw together and incredibly satisfying, these will keep at least a month in the fridge and freeze well too.
- 1 cup medjool dates
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1 cup oats
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp nopal powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup goji berries (mulberries/golden berries)
- Soak dates in boiled water until soft.
- In food processor, combine dates and almond butter until smooth. Add oats and coconut oil and pulse until roughly combined. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients and combine.
- Pour into a lined 8 x 8 square pan and press down with wet hands until evenly distributed and smooth.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting into squares. Store in fridge.